Tests at the site generally considered to be the tomb of Jesus in Jerusalem have dated materials found on site to the 4th century, lending weight to the tradition of the location of Christ’s tomb.
This is the first time that studies of this sort have been conducted on the site where the Church of the Holy Sepulchre was built in the Old City of Jerusalem. Materials found on site have been dated to the 4th century.
These results go along with the tradition that the Romans built a monument there about 300 years after the death of Our Lord.
Indeed, in the 4th century, the Christian emperor Constantine, after his conversion to Christianity, ordered a vast Christian complex to be built on this site, at a time when the Roman Empire was beginning to leave paganism and convert to Christianity. Around the year 326, the emperor, along with his mother, the empress St. Helen, ordered the holy places to be restored.
Since that time, there have been several successive constructions on the site where Christ’s body was laid to rest before His Resurrection.
The structure that stands there today, which draws great numbers of Christian pilgrims, was built in 1809-1810 in the Ottoman baroque style after a fire damaged the basilica. Its recent restoration took nine months and was completed in March of 2017.