29th Pilgrimage of Tradition from Bevagna to Assisi

Source: FSSPX News

In early September, pilgrims assembled and made a fervent pilgrimage across the Italian countryside, visiting relics of St. Clare, St. Angela, and more.

The pilgrimage began at 8:45 a.m. on Saturday, September 2, with Mass in Bevagna. This ancient city, of Roman origin, is located on the western extremity of the Foligno Plain, at the foot of the group of hills where Montefalco rises up and near the loop of the Timia River. Bevagna is home to several remarkable religious buildings, including the Gothic churches of San Silvestro and San Michele Archangelo, and the shrine of Our Lady of the Snows, built on the ruins of an ancient pagan temple.

The faithful then set off on foot for Montefalco, where a well-deserved break allowed them to venerate the relics of St. Clare, an abbess of the Order of Hermits of St. Augustine who died in 1308 and was canonized by Leo XIII in 1881. She was known for begging in the streets, sometimes standing in the rain for hours waiting for an act of charity from passers-by. Chosen as superior, she exercised this office with great humility and particular attention to the specific vocation of each sister. A century before her sister in religion, St. Rita of Cascia, she developed a spirituality of the Passion of Christ and received His stigmata.

That same evening the pilgrims walked to Foligno, home to the relics of the Franciscan mystic St. Angela, where they spent the night and took some well-deserved rest.

The next day, Sunday, September 3, Fr. Moncalero celebrated Mass in Spello for over 150 faithful; in his sermon, the celebrant made a parallel between St. Pius X, whose feast it was that day, and the Poverello, two saints who were faithful in great things but also in the seemingly insignificant little things in life.

The pilgrimage came to a fervent end in Assisi, under the frescoes of the basilica that tell the story of St. Francis; the faithful went their separate ways spiritually reinvigorated by the pilgrimage after the final blessing by Fr. Billoni