A boarding school in the USA

Source: FSSPX News

 

In keeping with its commitment to the education of our youth and in accordance with Archbishop Lefebvre’s directions to establish good Catholic schools, the SSPX’s United States District recently purchased nearly 18 acres of land with existing buildings in Olivet, Il, with the purpose of establishing a boy’s boarding high school.

The property located in the small town of Olivet includes a beautiful church that holds around 250 people, two large, three-storied dormitory buildings for dorm rooms and classrooms, a gymnasium, tennis courts, a rectory house and garage/workshop. The buildings are surrounded by trees and ample grass for playing fields.

The school was originally founded as a Protestant school in 1907, becoming affiliated with the Church of the Nazarene in 1912 and becoming "Olivet University" in 1915. It remained in the hands of the Nazarene group until a disastrous fire destroyed the main building in 1938. This prompted the Nazarenes to relocate their college to Bourbonnais, IL where it still exists.

The property then came into the possession of the La Salette Fathers who had fled the German invasion of Poland in 1939 and who were determined to maintain their identity as the Polish province of their order. They prospered in their new location and were able to establish a seminary and novitiate in Olivet, and in 1952 they placed the cornerstone for the handsome church which stands on the campus today.

As the effects of the post-Vatican II "renewal" manifested themselves, the seminary/novitiate closed in 1974 and the facility was then used as a retreat center. The property was eventually sold to local individuals in 2002. In November of last year, the Society of Saint Pius X acquired the property.

The Society plans to open the school as a boys’ high school for boarding students by the fall of 2005. The school will focus on giving the boys a solid education in the liberal arts and provide the necessary spiritual formation which is essential in forming virtue in our boys. The work now begins to raise the funds necessary to ready the school for its opening in 2005. Under the protection of Our Lady of La Salette and our heavenly patron, St PiusX, the school will soon play an important part in forming our boys and inspiring the call to serve Our Lord in the hearts and minds of these young men.

Visit our photo gallery.