Italy: The body of Padre Pio transferred

Source: FSSPX News

On April 19, the body of Padre Pio de Pietrelcina (1887-1968) was transferred from the crypt of the sanctuary of San Giovanni Rotondo (Italy) to the lower church St. Pio of Pietrelcina built by the architect Renzo Piano. The translation, authorized by the Roman Congregation for the Causes of the Saints, took place on the fifth anniversary of Benedict XVI’s election to the papacy and the opening of the provincial chapter of the Capuchins, which elected its new superior.

The new church of pilgrimage in honour of Pio da Pietrelcina, in service since 2004, is the second largest religious building in Italy, after St. Peter’s Basilica in Rome. Father Aldo Broccato, Provincial of the Capuchins, specified at the time of the dedication of the church six years ago that no relic had been deposited in the altar. The new vault was blessed on June 21, 2009, by  Pope Benedict XVI. Mgr. Michele Castoro, Archbishop of Manfredonia-Vieste-San Giovanni Rotondo, consecrated the altar before the mass was celebrated there on April 19.

At the time of the exposition of the body of Padre Pio, on the occasion of the 40th anniversary of his death, a great controversy had taken place on this subject. Many members of the Association of the Friends of Padre Pio had strongly protested against the transfer of his mortal remains into this building. For them, it would be to ignore the will of the Capuchin who wished to rest in the little church Santa Maria delle Grazie. (Sources: apic/zenit - DICI n°216 of the 05/06/10)